Jurassic Park is a 1993 film directed by Steven Spielberg. The first installment of the Jurassic Park franchise, it is based on the 1990 novel of the same name by Michael Crichton.
Next Generation Science Standards: Science & Engineering Practices
● Ask questions that arise from careful observation of phenomena, or unexpected results, to clarify and/or seek additional information.
● Ask questions that arise from examining models or a theory, to clarify and/or seek additional information and relationships.
● Evaluate a question to determine if it is testable and relevant.
● Ask and/or evaluate questions that challenge the premise(s) of an argument, the interpretation of a data set, or the suitability of the design
1. When did dinosaurs live? Investigate the geological eras.
Another view of the relationship between geological eras and the Earth’s strata.
2. What are chromosomes/genes/DNA nucleotides?
3. How might DNA possibly be preserved for long periods of time?
4. What is the scientific premise of the film: How did they recreate ancient dinosaurs? Did they (according to the film) create dinosaurs at all?
5. According to the book & film, not enough intact DNA was recovered to create a true dinosaur. How then were the theme park dinosaurs created?
6. Have scientists ever actually discovered preserved soft tissue, and/or protein, in dinosaur fossils?
7. Have scientists ever actually discovered preserved DNA in dinosaur fossils?
8. Some scientists have proposed that we can realistically reverse engineer dinosaurs from living birds. What is their biological, and evolutionary reasoning for why this could make sense?
9. How would these scientists actually go about doing this? (Summarize in a clearly written paragraph, describing several steps.)
Can scientists clone dinosaurs? How Stuff Works
Scrappy Fossils Yield Possible Dinosaur Blood Cells: National Geographic
DNA has a 521-year half-life, Nature (scientific journal)
The final nail in the Jurassic Park coffin. Research just published in the journal The Public Library of Science ONE (PLOS ONE)
Absence of Ancient DNA in Sub-Fossil Insect Inclusions Preserved in ‘Anthropocene’ Colombian Copal. (scientific journal)
Science of Jurassic Park: JurassicWikia